Friday, September 25, 2009

mor-D

So I am totally enjoying my study of Esther. I had tried to do it on my own this past summer. I do not recommend it. This is one of those series that you NEED the videos for. One of the points made last week that really stuck with me was about Mordecai, who I call "mor-d" 'cause we're tight like that. If you know the story, then you mor-d is Esther's cousin, and gets targeted by the evil Haman for refusing to bow before him (Esther 3). The point made was this,

"Mordecai did not slander, but he also did not kneel."

I am okay with the "did not kneel" part (can you say stubborn heifer), but the slander part, well that needs some work. I can run my mouth with the best of them.
You know what I mean. Someone wants you to do something you believe or flat out know is not right so you refuse. But do you keep you mouth shut? I know what I have done.

I can't believe he/she wants me to do that.
They have no sense of blah blah blah.
They call themselves a Christian? (just being honest here).

I could (and still can) get myself on a good ole high horse if I work hard enough. Actually, it does not take that much work.
Can you imagine the grace and dignity exhibited by mor-d while doing this. He says nothing bad about Haman, he just refuses to kneel.
Goes nicely with my reading of Titus last week. (Co-winky-dink- I think not).
Titus 2:3 - older women ... not slanderers...
Titus 3:2 - to speak evil of no one
You get the point.
I am going to be truthful with you. I am sitting here and in my mind's eye, I am completely in awe of the women and men who do this. Who can disagree with someone vehemently but do not slander. Oh how I would love to live like my life like that.
Good news is- I CAN.
Because why?
I CHOOSE.
Have a blessed weekend:)


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

so true - we should all choose to live that like - and yes, such a challenge

love you

Keri said...

I love this!!! There is such a fine line between speaking truth and slander....guess it depends on if you're speaking truth TO the one who needs to hear it or speaking truth about the one that needs to hear it.
Hmmmm.......

I miss Esther....I just loved that study last Spring!

Rhonda said...

Keri - I am so loving Esther myself. When I started it on my own (minus video) I really wasn't getting it. Now that I have sat through a couple of the sessions - I LOVE IT!