Wednesday, November 10, 2010

ANSWERING THE DISTRESS CALL

Last night the MCs and I read our most recent letters from Shery, our Compassion child.

One letter was a thank you for a gift we had sent. I'll be honest, I vaguely remember sending a small gift for something, but I cannot tell you what. Included in the letter was a picture of Shery with her new clothes on holding her family's new goat on a leash. Our small gift also provided food for her family. I tell you this not to brag on us, but to encourage you that a small gift can go so far to a Compassion kid and his or her family. Sponsor one!

As I was reading the letter I started crying. Tears rolled and my voice broke and it went from there....



MC 1: Mom? Are you crying?

Yes I am.

MC 1: (running away screaming) MAYDAY! MAYDAY! CRYING ALARM! CRYING ALARM! I CAN'T LOOK!



It was too funny. He totally hates for me to cry. It makes him "uncomfortable" and "embarrasses him" (or so he said the one time it was just he and I in the car and I cried. Dude...nobody else was around!)

All that to say, your little gift goes a long way to help someone. Nothing is too small. People are in great distress and we are called to answer. They are crying out for someone, anyone, to help them. Even the smallest gift can make a great impact. You can answer their distress call.
And if in doing so you get a letter that makes someone sound the crying alarm and yell mayday mayday as they run through the house, so be it. That is a distress call I can live with.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

hilarious!! i was helping my mc with his homework last night and i was leaning over his shoulder and he said and I quote

"you are making me a little uneasy right now."

got to love the mc!!!

Keri said...

I have been talking about and meaning to sponsor a kid for a long time. I need to get it done!! We had one through World Vision, but he left the area and we no longer know where he is. My boys hate the crying too.....but it's good practice for when they get married!!