Tuesday, October 16, 2012

CHUNKING ROCKS AND RUNNING AWAY

I can proudly report that the track around the hay pasture is still in use. I have come along way since just barely walking it this summer. I am up to running six laps now. Which is great, however, in the midst of just trying to remember to breathe, I sometimes forget to keep count of my laps. So today I came up with a plan. I picked up six rocks and laid them on the bumper of HH's truck. As I finished a lap I would pick up a rock and chunk it. I made my first lap, picked up my rock, and was immediately reminded of the verse, "here I raise my Ebenezer..." and the scripture that goes with it. Read 1 Samuel for the full version. What came to my mind was verse 12 of chapter 7.
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far the Lord has helped us."
With rock in hand, I thought of something the Lord had brought me through and then I chunked that rock. I ran another lap, picked up another rock, recalled another of the Lord's faithful actions toward me, and chunked that one.
Round and round I went, taking each lap to think of what my rock chunking would be for. Before I knew it my six laps were up. You know what I found? Not only was my body strengthened, but so was my soul. Faithfulness remembered will do that for you.
I am betting you have some Ebenezers as well. Maybe you don't lay out six rocks on the back of your husband's truck. Maybe you lay out 6 rocks by the diaper changing table. Maybe out by the laundry detergent and the washing machine. Maybe your rocks are stacked up by the water cooler at work. Or in your desk. Or wherever.
Point is you can put them some where. How cool would it be to pause in that moment and remember the faithfulness of God. Some days, some of us might be running to our rocks if you know what I mean.
I am going to tell you something and I don't want you to freak out. In my head, when I was chunking my rocks, after I named out loud what I was remembering, I pretended to be chunking them at the gates of hell. Sort of a TAKE THAT!! moment. I did, I really did.
I encourage you to get some rocks. Stack them near a location you frequent. Girls, it could be in the bathroom. It doesn't matter. Each time you go by them, pick one up, and recall the Lord's faithfulness to you.
Then start chunking those rocks and keep on running!!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Love!! U r beautiful and u make me thankful!!!

Rhonda said...

Awww... thank you!

Rebecca said...

Amen! remember His faithfulness - and He is always faithful!!

Keri said...

I could really benefit from some rock throwing right now....seriously. And I may need an entire pile of them to work through all that ails me right now. Loved this!