But not in Christ's order.
The previous time I worked through Nehemiah I didn't watch the videos. As most of you know, the video can bring a lot to the table and last week's, video 3 I think, was no exception. The topic was the disgrace the Israelites felt and how Nehemiah planned to deal with it. Minter then points us to 2 Corinthians 5 where we are called to be ministers of reconciliation.
Sitting in my little chair in the corner, I wrote down on my paper DO NOT DISGRACE THEM and underlined it twice, which means it's serious business. Then I was thinking how often I have chosen disgrace over reconciliation for others. Example? Sure. Just remember Jesus is still perfecting me. Have I ever prayed for the truth to be revealed about a person or a situation? I mean earnestly prayed? Yes. Can I sit here and tell you it was from a heart that wanted the people involved to be reconciled to Christ every time? Nope. Ashamedly, I can recall times when my motive was to have them disgraced. Right there, in the middle of my anger, hurt, frustration, or any other emotion I could feel, I gave way to the sin nature of this mortal body. Sure, I didn't call it sin. I called it truth being revealed. I called it people needing to know. I called it perpetrators reaping what they have sown. Regardless of whatever name I tagged it with, the intent was still to have them shamed and disgraced.
Pretty, right?
I am grateful to Jesus for pointing this out, as I saw it developing in my heart as recent as last week.
Repentance has come from it. Not just the I'm sorry I did it, but the I'm sorry and please God let me turn from it. Let me choose to turn from it. Let me choose to be about reconciliation- be it by the words I say to others or the prayers I pray to God alone. Let me choose to stand guard over my own heart and mind against that prideful spirit. Let me choose not to be the one causing others to be disgraced.
The message has been an eye opener for me, as I pray this post is for you. Not because of my words, but as a result of the work the Spirit will do in you.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
(NKJV)Perhaps you can think of a time when you have secretly wanted disgrace instead of reconciliation. Repentance, true repentance, can be ours. We are not without hope.
Maybe you are the one who was disgraced. Forgiveness through Christ is ours as well.
who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ....
May we choose to believe Him.
For in Christ Jesus, we are never disgraced.




No comments:
Post a Comment