Tuesday, August 4, 2009

IT'S OK- REALLY?

I am sitting here trying to figure out how to word this, listening to my man sleep and watching Hillsong. I just want it to make sense.
Ever have a relationship where you have prayed for God to make it what He wanted it to be. Maybe you do that all the time. I am sure we should, but honestly, I don't always do it. Especially not relationships I have had for a long time. I am not talking about just dating or marriage, but friendships, work places, churches, all of the above. I'll give you my most recent one. I have prayed for our previous church for years to be what God wants it to be. To be the part of the body He needs it to be. Problem was when things started shaping up, suddenly it was like I was a foot trying to serve in a mouth. Just incompatible. The mouth has its purpose in the body and it does not involve having a foot or a hand in it. Sure it makes mistakes and bites itself, but it heals and does what it needs to do. The feet have their function as well. Yes, they stumble and stub their toes, but they heal as well and keep walking. See the mouth can not say what needs to be said with a foot stuck in it and the feet can't walk if they are in the mouth. (Side note I am not referring to anyone as a foot or a mouth- its a metaphor peeps.. roll with it). The body just can not function that way.
Now how often does that happen to you? You pray for God to make it (whatever it is) what He wants it to be, but in your own mind you have a picture of what you think it should look like. See I had a picture of what I thought it should look like. What if that is not God's picture? Are we willing to take on the disappointment and hurt when He does make it what He wants and it LOOKS nothing like what we thought it should have? Or maybe He does not want it to look that way at all but it is a road that must be traveled for His glory to be revealed.
I know people say this a lot with marriage.. oh it was not like what I expected (even the good ones have their surprises) or having kids or new jobs or whatever. Honestly I have no idea how things are going to pan out. I don't know if that church is becoming what they are to be... I don't know what staying home is going to be like... I don't know what my role will be in the new church.. I just don't know. I have my ideas and pictures and dreams, but those can all be shot to pieces in a heartbeat. Really did you think I ever envisioned myself with a living room straight from Bass Pro? Stuff does not always turn out like I plan. And sometimes that is a great thing:) And sometimes that is a hard thing. Because when it is better than I planned I feel "blessed" and when it totally opposite of what I planned I feel "denied" and yet the same God is in charge of both. Does He love me one day and give me what I want and punish me the next by smashing my dreams?
The answer is no.. He always loves me. He always wants to grow me in Him. He always wants to give the best to me. He ways are always better than mine. His pictures of my life are fine works of art whereas mine are chicken scratch.
I guess what I really wanted to say before I went down a rabbit trail was that sometimes even good things are incompatible. They just can't work together.
AHHHH inspired moment..wait for it...
like water and oil.
Together no mixy ( immiscible if you need to know that technical term)...
however, you use both to make brownies (from a box) and the end is great!
The body is the same way. We all have different parts to play. And one on one we may not be able to do the same thing, but what we provide individually contributes to the whole, and that is okay. It really is - it is okay.
Wow I hope this makes sense in the morning. Sisters- let me know if it doesn't. You too Nelle!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

that's awesome girl!!! really, really good - and there is a grieving time when your 'dream' or picture dies - reminds me of something going on in my life too

good stuff, God stuff

thanks
love ya

sueonthefarm said...

Very, Very good! How often we forget that God's "artwork" is so much better than what we can even imagine. Good message!

The German-Ethiopian Alaskans :O) said...

Good stuff, Rhonda! Thanks for sharing from your heart! God is aligning people all over the place. It's good, but it is not easy, and in the end it will look nothing like we imagined (my opinion). :O) Keep fixin' your eyes on Jesus! He is coming back for a beautiful Bride! Love you!