Last Thursday I had my sister's kids at my house. I had planned on doing nothing. Really, I had. Until mid-morning when my MIL called and told me her barn was burning. To the ground. She was at home alone, with three kids under the age of 6, including MC 2. (I have to confess my first thought was focused in MC 2's location and was he a possible suspect. He was not). So I loaded up the truck and away we went. My sister's WC was very excited. I have never seen a real fire except on a candle.
When we got there, the barn was already gone. My FIL lost everything in there. Saddles, tack, fishing gear, a Bad Boy buggy, a Mule (the ATV), tools, and coolers. RV's were damaged. More for him, keepsakes were lost. It has been a very hard week on both of them. All of them.
But little kids don't realize that. We ended up with seven kids at the house watching the fire. I did the only thing I knew to do, which was set them up lawn chairs where they could see in the backyard and serving refreshments. Their primary concern was the pool....oh please spare the pool. FYI the pool is right behind the house so it had no chance of burning, but you see their priorities.
In the loss, my father-in-law has mourned. He knows it was just stuff, but it was his stuff. His memories. I think we can all understand that.
My sister's kids are coming back this week. I hope I have nothing to report:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
as does your sister!! though i am pretty sure that was the highlight of their week :)
Post a Comment