Tuesday, October 18, 2011

BUT I DON'T AWANA.....

I have been co-leading a group of 2nd grade boys at AWANA for about 6 weeks now. This is my first year with AWANA and had you asked me during the first two weeks, it would have been my last.
Straight up truth telling time- I had no desire to work with little ones. Zip....none. However, I wanted the MCs to go, and so I figured I would serve my time as well. Well, the craziness that is the first two weeks wore on my attitude, and I apparently wore my attitude on my face. Every single time I walked past someone they would say, "It gets better....it really gets better", and every time I would think, Yes it will, next year when I am not doing this.
Round week three I became aware I needed a Holy Spirit inspired attitude adjustment. In my asking, one of the first things that I was cut to the quick with was this thought-
If you, Rhonda, esteem the Word as highly as you profess. If you, Rhonda, believe in the life changing power, the freedom and healing power scripture provides--- then why in the world would you not be thrilled to death at the chance to help get that Word planted in some little men children, much like your own. If you think enough about it to bring your kids, why do you not esteem it enough to help other kids.
That, my friends, is called a swift kick in the derriere.
Because you know what He was really saying?
Exactly what He said.
Funny thing about God, He doesn't mince words about the Word.
Needless to say, my attitude has been a little better since. Now, Wednesdays are still tough. I am tired. My MCs do their homework at some fast food joint in between school and church. Bath time comes much later than it should. We all drag a little more on Thursdays.
But for me, the investment is worth the payment.
Especially when I think of what I am doing as a form of discipleship. We aren't just listening to verses for points. We are learning how to be respectful listeners during council time. We are learning how to get our praise on during worship. We are learning how to be gracious losers and humble winners during game time. We are learning how to pray for our friends and that no prayer is too small. We are learning that we matter, we are of value, and we are worth the investment.
So no, I didn't want to AWANA.
But now,
I CHOOSE.

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This was a great post. I love your honesty. I teach youth on Wednesday nights and then turn around and teach bible classes to elementary students all day on Thursdays and I get TIRED sister! But, I'm reminded in Galatians 6 not to grow weary in well doing...that we will reap a harvest if we don't give up. And if that harvest can be a child who comes from a terrible home who otherwise may never hear the gospel? Then I'm all in! Much love to you Rhonda!

Rhonda said...

Thank you Lisa:)

Rebecca said...

love it! absolutely love it! the Lord has been really busy with the swift kicks to the rear this week - glad to know i was not alone - and what a great point about investing and implanting the Word into those young lives - i did AWANA for a year or two and loved it