Thursday, June 21, 2012

GROWN UPS

No, not the movie. (Yet, just for you sister....Somebody shoot that turkey!)
Grown ups in Jesus. Mature Christians. Maturity defined by relationship and not age. On Sunday I start a class on Matt Chandler's study of Philippians. I am pretty excited. I haven't seen a lot of Chandler's stuff. I caught him on the Elephant Room clips. I have listened to a sermon, at best two. I haven't read the Explicit Gospel. What I have seen though, I liked. I was challenged. Which is the number one reason I excited about this study. I want to be challenged. I want to meet with Jesus and have Him grow me up. Dangerous statement? Very possibly. It could get real ugly. Growing pains hurt, but who wants to stay a Christian toddler? I have seen myself as that...fit throwing...mine-mine-mine...no thank you. A Christian teenager? Insecurity about who I am and relationships I have and needy friendships and not being part of the "in" group and letting it bother me and she stole my bestest friend....please, please let's get on with it.  So, I am a little stoked about it. The growing pains may or may not be played out here. You may just get analogies about our relationship with Christ and the process of canning tomatoes. I had one last night about how placing them in the boiling water and removing their core is much like us realizing our sins and sinful hearts, and then how the hot water we find ourselves in often seals us in Jesus, preserving us, or we don't seal and we ruin. Of course, it may have been the lack of sleep talking. Posting at midnight rarely a good idea.
What about you? What is the topic of your small group or Sunday school class? What do you think about it so far? How have you been challenged?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

i really think you will like the new study - he is funny!! well in SS we are reading various books - smaller ones that can be read in one class - it has been challenging and interesting to read it as a whole and have discussion - and then in another small group we are studying Philippians - now this one has been a kicker!!! i just wish we had a better teacher :)

The Schubey Shack said...

Philippians - last week marriage and Paul's view on it...Our preacher is doing the class so its good. he's very honest about it and scripture led.

Rhonda said...

We will all have to compare notes!