Tuesday, September 11, 2012

SHOTS TO THE RIBS

Spine & ribs. I have heard it. I have said it. I have read it. Issues in the church, both local and global, can be divided into these two categories. The are those issues that are essential to our Christian faith. They are spine issues. They are the backbone of what we believe. They are what everything else stems from. Broken spines leave people paralyzed. There is no moving forward. There is no walking. There is not even crawling. When the fundamentals of our faith, the hard core, non-negotiable items, are compromised, when we can not agree on these, we are immobilized as a person, as a people, and as a church.
But can I tell you something?
Broken ribs hurt.
Those issues that aren't our very foundation, but are important to us, well, damages to those hurt. We can still move and we can still walk, but not without pain. Broken ribs are tender. Broken ribs cause us to be guarded with our movements and protective with our hearts. Even breathing is painful some days. Much less trying to extend our hands, in worship or in assistance of another. Broken ribs cause us to draw in and guard our very exposed torsos.

Okay, maybe just me. Because that is how I have been feeling lately. As if I have been walking with broken ribs. The spine is fine, but my ribs feel like they have taken a beating. Disagreements and doubts are like punches pounding on my torso. Worship is painful. Standing tall is not without some struggle. I am guarded. I am tender. My actions are weighed against the pain they may cause me.
It hurts to cry.
It hurts to laugh.
Sometimes all I can do is stand bent over.

And I don't know how to fix it.
Or how long it will take.

I am not paralyzed.
I may be crawling spiritually, but I am not paralyzed.
I know that.
I am grateful for that.
I thank God for that.

My banged up ribs will heal.
With time, I won't be so guarded.
It's just going to take a bit to get there.

My Healer, He likes broken.
My Healer, He can use broken.
My Healer, He is faithful to touch the broken.
And He will make me whole again.

In the meantime, we will walk together.

Because neither He nor I,in Him, are paralyzed.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Amen. beautiful post, very heartfelt and honest. and yes broken ribs do hurt, and some take longer to heal than others. but you are right, He will heal