Friday, June 19, 2009

DEVASTATED? REALLY?

Our Deeper Still study yesterday had Beth Moore talking about moving on from our devastation with God. Using David as the example she discussed when David was angry at & afraid of God because He had stuck down Uzzah when he tried to steady the ark (2 Samuel 6). Her point was that David was devastated at that point, but he moved on with God. Many of us get devastated by the actions or inactions of God and we go nowhere.
Got me thinking about how many times I had actually been "devastated". Or am I more like a hormonal teenager that when anything goes awry it is the absolute end of the world! How may times have I been "devastated" because someone looked at me wrong or hurt my feelings or didn't compliment me. Devastated because I did not get the perfect job with the perfect kids and the perfect hubs all living in the perfect house. How many times has HH been devastated because he did not get it either? How many tiny things have caused me to fuzz up at the Lord God of Hosts and demand an answer? Or demand He act like I wanted Him to?
There have been legitimate things that have devastated me and those close to me- loss of a child (in utero and out), loss of a parent, infidelity by a spouse. All of those things can hold us in the grip of despair and devastation if we allow them to. But I know for me there have been a whole lot of little things where I behaved like an impatient toddler going "' BUT WWHHYY DADDY - WWWWHHHHYYYY!" and have been very ticked off that I did not get an answer.
The sad part is realizing how much those little temper tantrums cost me. I don't know that I grew (or grow because sometimes they are still happen) a whole lot in those fits because I wasn't listening to Him. I think in those times of real devastation, you listen because you have nowhere else to go. In those fits though- you listen to yourself, your friends, your enemy- any one else but Him.
Here is just a thought. In times of devastation, Christ brings comfort. He heals our broken and shattered hearts and minds and tells us of His undying love & tender mercies. In times of my temper tantrums that I call "devastation", Christ brings correction. Not fun! Not fun at all. However, I am no longer a teenager and at this point in my walk, some types of behavior are not to be tolerated by my Father any longer. Now sometimes the correction comes as a disappointed but soft & loving " Rhonda, you knew better", other times it is a much needed swat on the backside. The joyous hope in both- is that He does it because He loves me. He loves ME! Loves me enough bust through and destroy the darkness of my real devastation. Loves me enough to correct me and grow me into the woman He (God Himself) means for me to be. To show me that with Him and in Him and through Him I am a much tougher gal than I thought. That if I so choose, I can stand of solid ground and not let every wave that comes at me knock me off my feet.
And as many of you who read this (I say many like there is a lot hahahahahahaha) hopefully know- He loves you too! All that He says He is to me He is to you. All the love He has for me, He has for you. Yes we are all at different stages. Some of us babes in Christ, some in our terrible two's, some in Kindergarten where we are learning and exploring and whatever our teacher says is law. Some have passed into the rebellious teenage years where it is all about us and some have graduated and left our "spiritual homes" to learn from the Teacher Himself. The awesome thing is He can, wants to and will handle all of us! He is a big enough God to be up in all our individual stuff, all our darknesses and all our tantrums. He is never where He can't be found, and we are never so far gone He can't find us.
All I can say to that is Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
Have a great weekend!




2 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

wow. I needed that. Thank you. Can you write one on humbleness now? ;-)

Keri said...

Wow.....so very true. Every single word! Well said and a great reminder for all of us!