Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SMALL STEPS...

A few weeks ago I heard a very challenging sermon (Flip This House) about parenting.
So challenging that I left church convicted that HH and I had to do this better.
Much.
So we have tried.
Which probably explains a few of MC 1's tears.
He is probably wondering where his real parents are,
because the ones he has now have lost their minds,
causing him to exclaim how,
"IT'S NOT FAIR YA'LL GET TO DO STUFF AND I DON'T!"
One of the areas I needed to step it up in was discipleship.
What do I want my kids to know about God, Jesus Christ, and the Bible?
I live and die by scripture memory so why was I not imparting that to my men children,
like now?
This is what we have:
It is not fancy by any means.
I made a list of the topics I wanted my kids to know about rock solid.
Things like the 10 Commandments, the power of our tongue, and fear.
Each week we will focus on one verse until we go through them all.
In the morning, we go over the verse and what it means.
Then we take prayer requests.

We read a little devotional.

Then we pass the plate because mama don't work...

Just kidding...

At night we pray over our requests.

Underneath the requests are the MCs chores for the week.
I really like the board because it is always right there before them.
Not impressive, but prayerfully fruitful.
So if you are like me, and need a place to start, here you go.
The boys seem to like the dry erase board, and are tolerating the rest.
Love to hear what discipleship pointers you use with your kiddos.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

great ideas - and the sermon was really good - i listened to it - i don't know that i have any good pointers - we are probably not doing it well - and you definitely spurred me on

Keri said...

So I am way behind and all over the place with your blog....hopefully this comment will actually show up as me??
Anyways, I got a great idea from a friend and have been doing it. I post a scripture on the boy's bathroom mirror. They are supposed to read it when they brush their teeth. I change it every so often and am amazed when I ask them how often they know the verse. Sometimes I add a little note at the bottom of it and I almost always use The Message so it's crystal clear what the verse is saying. I have been keeping the verses and my hope is to have a bunch to give them when they leave home one day!

Rhonda said...

That is a wonderful idea Keri! Thank you!