I love Christmas lights. I don't know if I always have, but I remember as a teenager being enthralled with the beauty of our Christmas tree. I would sit in the dark room, alone, with nothing but the tree lights on and love every minute of it. It was peaceful to me. At A&M, the city of College Station would decorate its park and I would always try to convince a friend to go with me. I love driving around and looking at lights as well. It is a passion I have passed on the MC 2. He LOVES Christmas lights. He loves spotting them. He loves describing them as we drive by. He uses words like beautiful and bright and Santa Land.
One word I often think of when I look at lights is romance.
Romance?
Yep, you read it right. I think Christmas lights are romantic. It is odd I am sure. It is not like I ever had a romantic moment one under the magic of some Christmas lights. Granted, HH, did confirm our engagement at Christmas of 1997, but I don't really count chunking a stuffed animal with a ring attached at me and saying here you go terribly romantic, even if it was Winnie the Pooh.
But it never fails, every Christmas my heart swoons with romance at the sight of Christmas lights.
Lights....Bing Crosby....Nat King Cole....fireplace roaring.... I would be one big old Hallmark movie in the making.
Thinking about it tonight, I think maybe "romantic" isn't such an odd choice after all. I mean the story of Christmas itself is full of what I call romance. A girl willing to stand firm on her faith in God, regardless of the cost. A man willing to stand firm on his convictions, his faith in God, and right beside the woman he loves, or at least likes a little if he was willing to marry her. A couple setting off together, with no one to count on but themselves and God, not knowing where they are headed or what lies before them, but confident they can face whatever comes together and in the strength the Lord provides.
However, those are not the greatest examples of romance in the story. A Prince, willing to humble Himself to a pauper, out of love for His Father and His people. A Father, who saw His people's demise coming, saw their weaknesses being preyed upon by His enemy, knowing they could do nothing to save themselves, willing sent His Son on a mission that would end in His suffering and death.
All out of love.
What is more romantic than that?
What is greater love than that?
So maybe when my heart swoons at Christmas lights, perhaps it is only responding to the reality of what Christmas is.
The greatest act of love mankind has ever known.
The ultimate sacrifice made for each and every one of us.
In all our frailty.
In all our sin.
In our mess ups.
In our prideful flare ups.
Love.
Constant Love.
Abiding Love.
Secure love.
Wooing us to a better life.
Drawing us to a destiny that will stand the test of all time.
Now that's romance......




1 comment:
Amen and Amen!!! i am a hopeless romantic for Christmas and all the trimmings myself - what an amazing love!
Post a Comment