Well, remember when I told you "we" were supposed to sit down and do a quickie budget. Uhm....hmmm.....that didn't happen.
"We" meant "me" and "we" meant "he" would look over it 5 minutes before we walked out the door. Got be honest, I was a little miffed. A little frustrated.
Then we went to the second class and Ramsey took away my steam.
If you have taken FPU, then you will know exactly what I mean when I say I am a money nerd and HH is a money free spirit. For the rest of you, it means I want a detailed budget made up. One that we took an entire weekend to come up with. During that weekend, I would also like for us to develop a detailed college plan for the MCs, a 5 year plan for updating our house and property, and a 10 year plan explaining where we expect to be in the next decade. All the while, talking about how we feel about these plans and how they correlate to our Christian world view.
For HH, it means I've got 17 minutes to talk to him about the budget. After that-well, I might as well be spittin' in the wind.
Over dramatization - perhaps.(Not the 17 minutes though - that is even in the book.)
But true.
The second class definitely swung things in HH "favor". It let him off the "hook" for the weekend budget retreat I had planned. It didn't exempt him from financial responsibility, but it did help me see my way is not his way.
It also put the free spirits on the spot, in that during the 17 minute meeting, they are not allowed to say "whatever you want to do is fine by me."
Heard that before? Perhaps you are the free spirit and have said it?
DRIVES....US......NERDS........C......R......A......Z......Y!
Like up the wall crazy.
Nope, he has got to change 2 things on the budget as submitted.
And I have to shut up and let him.
See that ...."let him"....seems us nerds are a bit of control freeks as well. Pretty sure that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.
I have to say that Ramsey hit the nail on the head with his explanations of the dynamics between married couples. I found myself nodding my head and looking at HH, and then I found myself thinking "oh that is totally me" and avoiding HH's gaze as he nodded his head and looked at me.
This week we also talked about the kids. About "commissions" and chores. How we can and should compensate them for specific jobs they are assigned, but not for every thing they do. Some where we have to find the balance between teaching them the value of a dollar, working for that very dollar and the fact that some things you do because you are a part of this family. I made up some "commissions" charts for them Saturday. HH looked over them in his free spirited ways and agreed. We have discussed them and explained them to the MCs. I'll let you know after this week how it has gone.
I have to say again, this stuff isn't rocket science. It is good old common sense. Wisdom that somehow escaped us in the pursuit of life.
Some of you have this down pat.
Great!
Please don't roll your eyes at us and say well duh.
We do that enough ourselves.
Be our cheerleader!
For those of you walking where we are and have been- we will be yours!
We don't have to serve two masters.
We are not meant to.
With Jesus Christ, we can break those chains of slavery to the small master and be free to worship and serve God and Christ.
We can.
We just need to choose to take the first step.
It is time to choose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
good luck!!! from one money nerd to another :)
Post a Comment