We have lived in our neighborhood for over a decade. Many of those years without kids, or with kids too small to be in school. Often, after the bus went by in the afternoons, I would hear these shrill, shrieking sounds. Attempts at a musical interlude if you will. I often wondered what instrument this could possibly be. Why are they playing it? Why are they so bad at it?
NOW I KNOW....
The Recorder.
It is the culprit.
Remind you I was NEVER in band. I have a vague recollection of a sister or two playing one, but it is very vague. My memories of MC 1 playing it will not be. At first he was just playing the one at school....I guess - to be honest I really have no clue. The thought of playing one at school totally grosses me out- the mouthpiece and the spit.....OHHHHH the spit.......GAG! - but one weekend without mom and sucker buy by HH and he owns his very own.
Green.
With a yellow and white string attached. Which according to him correlate to a belt in karate - I will leave the sarcasm about killing people with it out here.
HE loves it. So much so we are striving for a purple "belt". In doing so, we have determined the car has great acoustics and is THE PERFECT PLACE TO PRACTICE. I think it has more to do with the captive audience.
And I would like to say that even though I lack in musical chops, I am convinced Merrily We Roll Along and Mary Had a Little Lamb...ARE THE EXACT SAME SONG!
Either that or you have just had a glimpse into the skill level we endure.
Hey, listen, I am thrilled MC 1 loves music. I encourage him. I listen.
And listen.
A...N...D...listen.
And when he is 45 reading his mama's ramblings, he will most likely have endured THE RECORDER himself and he will know exactly what I mean.
And he will smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
luckily my MC's recorder has remained at school - and i am too delighted at its absence to even think about the coodie factor :)
enjoy your musician in the making :)
Post a Comment