Wednesday, January 9, 2013

WHICH PARENT ARE YOU?

The meal "planning" was successful.
The meal "purchasing" is a different story. Actually, there is no story because I haven't even been to the store long enough to buy groceries.
The clean kitchen table, well, it's the sequel to the store story.


MC 1 woke up the day after his first practice and informed me that his whole body hurt.
Welcome to the world of athletics son.
HH and I have managed to stay out of the amateur elementary athletic ring up until now. Granted we did some time as soccer parents, but it's soccer. At this age you're just glad if your kid runs the right way and doesn't spend his time chasing his own shadow. HH is very competitive. Not at all into athletics, but if he is forced to participate, he wants to win. He already has a list of things that MC 1 needs to work on that he shared with me. I keep saying, "It's little league. It's Pee-Wee. Chill out." A good line to hold to, but I am afraid it may fall apart when it's game time. See- I love basketball. I LOVE BASKETBALL. I know basketball. I have a coach's voice. It carries well. I am a little concerned that I may lose all restraint once MC 1 hits the hardwood. And, please, heaven help me if someone hurts my baby on purpose. This mama can clear some bleachers - don't you worry. I come from a family of bench clearers and bleacher hoppers. When I was in junior high, my dad went toe-to-toe with a little league coach who screamed at me during a game (and I was just keeping the books), and my sister Casey cleared a bench when some girl hit sister Becca in the face with a ball during one of their summer league games. We. Do. Not. Play.
I almost typed "ain't nobody got time for that" just for my SIL but felt it might be in bad taste. But she'll read this and laugh so mission accomplished.
My prayer, and seriously I have been praying, is that I remain calm, encouraging, and free of foul words and sarcastic remarks for the officiating crew.
Which made me curious- what kind of bleacher parent are you?
Nice, quiet, just watching....I have heard those exist.
Are the bleacher coach?
Are you the one giving encouragement and clapping loudly at anything anyone does well?
Are you the trash talker?
Have you ever been kicked out of a game?
Received a warning from the official?
Perhaps even been T'd up?
Be honest.
No judgement here.
I reserve that right until AFTER the first game.

3 comments:

Keri said...

So there was the time I may have suggested to an umpire that he make his yearly visit to the ophthalmologist. I got dagger eyes from my husband and the VERY next game, when I was still behaving myself, I had a lady walk up to me from the opposing team and ask if maybe she had seen me up front at our church during a women's ministry event.

My husband looked me square in the eyes with a "And that's why you need to keep your cool" kind of look.

It was humbling. Now I just scream and yell during games but try much harder to keep my personal opinions of coaches and refs and whether they are being paid off by the opposing team or need a new pair of glasses all to myself.

It is one of life's greatest challenges. I wish you much luck.

Rhonda said...

Yep....that will be my battle. I just keep telling myself, "It's little league....chill out." We shall see:)

Rebecca said...

i don't know yet - i guess we'll see