Friday, January 21, 2011

IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE KIM AND NIELSEN GO MAD...

which is probably what you will think I have done by the time you finish this post because, honey, it is all over the place.
HH loves a variety of shows. He has introduced me to a whole new world of viewing that I would have other wised missed. Wild Justice....Junior vs. Senior....Head Rush....Bone Collector.
Then, there is the fact that it is clear by our recordings that some one is a Twi-Hard.
Last night, he introduced me to the world of Teen Mom 2.
All I can say is w...o...w...
Which leads me to this morning.
I read an article about KK and I have to say I agree with her point. My heart literally broke for these girls, but not just for them.
It broke for the millions of girls watching who see a shot at fame.
Who see a way to get popular FAST....
and the generations that will pay for it.
Yes, plural.
For the record, my heart breaks for Sr. and Jr and Mikey.
I worry about the millions of "Bellas" who won't heed Charlie's advice about
learning to love what is good for you
and who will do anything to be with "that" boy.
It is almost enough to crush your heart and hope.
Almost...
but not quite.
I'll tell you why.
First, Jesus.
Second, Him in us.
My sister has started a group for girls at her high school. They meet one day a week during their lunch. They talk about insecurities. They talk about true beauty.
They talk about how hard it is to be a girl sometimes out there. Then, they encourage each other and go back out there. Some may only pay lip service. But for that ONE.
The one girl who really takes it to heart. The one girl who realizes she is fearfully and wonderfully made. The one who sees the beauty within.
The one who finally gets that she has value...she has a purpose....she has a destiny.
She can encourage another one.
Then, slowly, girl by girl, they start being who they were created to be.
If the generational ripple effect is going to stop, it starts with Jesus.
It comes through us.
What are we modeling to the young girls in our lives?
What are we teaching the young men?
Even my own MCs.
What am I showing them is acceptable?
What am I tolerating, even at this tender age, that sets them up for failure in the future?
Parenting is a weighty responsibility, teen-aged mom or not.
So is teaching, mentoring, coaching a city league or leading a youth group.
These kids are looking for some "thing" to emulate.
Some "one" to follow.
Who do we point them to?
Celebs on TV?
Fictional characters with fictional lives?
Or the One, the only One, who can lead them by still waters amidst of the storms of life?
We choose.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

man - that is an excellent post!! and i whole-heartedly agree!!! what are we teaching are kids - young girls and young boys

great job- and you have one amazing sister (the one who started the girls group, of course)

The Schubey Shack said...

AMEN! i have been trying to "say" that for a long time now...Jersey Shore people ARE NOT role models...Teen Mom girls ARE NOT role models....somebody has to step in and try to be that light that is so desperately needed!