A few weeks ago at Life Group we had a discussion about consistency in our lives. Consistency in our walks and our talks. Being faithful in the good and the bad. I couldn't help but think of this quote,
"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who
acknowledge Jesus with their lips then walk out the door and deny him by
their lifestyle.That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
acknowledge Jesus with their lips then walk out the door and deny him by
their lifestyle.That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
-thank you DC Talk
We talked about how our inconsistencies feed that.
I had a very public one last week. Most of the time, the Lord and I keep my sarcasm in check with the kiddos at school. Not that they don't ever see it, but it is tempered and never mean spirited.
One day last week, it wasn't. Which resulted in the wrong thing being said to the wrong child at the wrong time causing a great deal of hurt.
For me and the child.
I had no excuse.
I had damaged a relationship I spent months trying to build.
As much as my flesh wanted to blame others for pushing me to that point, the Holy Spirit was quick to show me it was my fault and mine alone. Our inconsistencies usually are.
Because my inconsistency was played out in public, so was my apology (and the many shades of red that went with it). My hope is that the ones who don't know Christ will see His humility in that. I pray the relationships and trust can be redeemed. I pray I accept the forgiveness extended to me and not beat myself up for it for weeks to come.
That would be inconsistent.




2 comments:
It happens. At least you were woman/Christian enough to admit that you had made a mistake. They need to see that part sometimes. Some teachers try to pretend they are perfect and its ok for them to see that we are human - you like "we shop at Wal-Mart too!" :)
It still stunk.
Post a Comment