Saturday, February 14, 2009

TEACHERS & KIDS

Just ran into a former student at the store. Not just any former student, hands down my all time favorite. I love this kid like he is my own. The kid has turned into one of the neatest young men,and I have gotten to witness the transformation. For that I am grateful. Teaching has many challenges. I get tired of the politics, both inside the school system and out. I get tired of having to play the role of mama for kids whose moms are 1) either working so much just to provide for the kids or 2) just want to be their kids best friend. I get tired of caring more about their grades than they do. Frankly, I just get tired. BUT when you get those opportunities to really see the impact. You get that ONE kid you really connect with - the one who you can really speak Christ into his or her life.And your heart is forever theirs. You want for them like you want for your own. You pray for them & their parents. You encourage them that they are more than what they think they can be. You remember WHY you love to teach & became a teacher. Its not to fill out paperwork, or go to meetings, or to get summers "off". You did it because you want kids to be more than they think they can. You want them to know that the God of Heaven loves them and wants them to go out into the world for Him. I am grateful for those moments. You can have those moments, too. I guarantee there are kids in your church, your neighborhood, your community who need someone, anyone to believe in them. Someone who will speak to them Jeremiah 33:3. If you get the chance to invest in one - DO IT. Will they disappoint - maybe- but who of us doesn't? But I wouldn't trade my handwritten notes of appreciation & love from these kids for anything. I cherish them - from year one till now. So to my favorite kiddo I say thank you. As I told you in the store - I love & pray for you like you were my own. Thanks for letting me into your life- even if just for a season. I am proud of you.

To you all - Happy Valentine's Day. You are loved.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Awww, thanks - we love you too! And great post about the impact we have on the younger generation, whether we realize it or not.