Saturday, July 4, 2009

IT'S A HARD COUNTRY AND IT CALLS FOR HARD MEN

West Texas changes a man.
For some, it is a time warp. Right back to classic country of the '60's & 70's. HH does not listen to a lot of country music. He is more of a '80's heavy metal / hair band mix (an enigma I know- goes with the golf & hunting). So imagine my shock when we finally were reunited (and it felt so good........sorry - couldn't resist it -hangover from West Texas) and his radio was on some local station playing the Hanks, Mr. Cash and other classics. He hardly ever listens to that stuff. Apparently there is an imaginary line you cross on your way to West Texas where you are transported back instantaneously. It does not appear that when you cross that same line on your way home you get quite such a quick return. Apparently you progress. We are now in the era when HH lived in Bryan/College Station. We spent the other day listening to Rick Trevino classics. Can I say hello Hall of Fame? Denim & Diamonds? Hurricane Harry's? The Chicken.. and in later years Shadow Canyon. (Yes I was there at the same time, but by God's providence we never met- good thing ya'll I promise!) Hopefully we are making our way into the current CENTURY and our musical tastes will return to normal. I have enjoyed the little trip down memory lane but you can't stay in the past. Plus it all makes me want to do a two step and HH REFUSES to dance with me because he maintains that I can't.
The other profound affect is on apparel. Man child 1 sees himself as more a skater/hip hop kid. However, after 36 hours in West Texas he is now a cowboy. He has new boots and new clothes, heavy starch thank you very much. The girl at the dry cleaners actually asked if I wanted the line down the jeans - HELLO? - that is the whole point! Here is a pic of the boots:

And yes we are wearing them with the pants tucked in. Because that is the only way you could see the orange!
It is a hard country, and it calls for hard men. No sissy hair bands in the West. Only tough songs about tough men who wear what MC1 calls the "hard jeans", boots and starched shirts.

Yep, West Texas changes a man.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

So, can you send them out there whenever you want them to change? that is too funny about mc 1 - maybe he will fit in at his new school after all :)

love you