The latest chapter in EG's book talked about managing your emotions. Same theme...focus on what is real and true...focus on today and not worry about a lot of what ifs...so on and so on.
Can I just tell you that doing that is so very hard for me. I am a queen of what ifs. Seriously if they gave away a crown and a sash it would totally be mine. I can even come up with what ifs about my what ifs. Most of the time my what ifs are so irrational and nearly always based in fear.
It is tough not to think of the what ifs. I mean, honestly sometimes you need to. Preparing a will, planning for your kids future, and even planning for your own future requires a visit to the land of what ifs. I guess the key is how long you stay there, and who rules that land. Is it a land ruled by a tyrannical manipulating liar who enjoys nothing more than torturing me with more what ifs and longs for me to never get back to my present life? Or is it the King of the Universe Who promises that whatever comes, He has got it totally in control and will be with me all the way. The King who encourages me to worry only about today, and even in that, not to worry at all.
I have to believe..NO...I have to know, regardless of what emotion I feel, that Jesus Christ is the Lord of my what ifs. The only way that happens is that He is Lord of my life. What ifs from the yesterday, today, and tomorrow are His.
"Peace I leave with you,
My peace I give to you;
not as the world gives do I give to you.
Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid."
John 14:27 (NKJV)




6 comments:
One of my favorite and most challenging weeks during Beth Moore's Esther study (It's Tough Being a Woman) was the week when she challenged us to write down our biggest "what if" fear. The bottom line she brought us to was, "If blank happens, then God." He's still there with us, before, during, and after our what ifs.
That's powerful stuff, and good to be reminded of. Thanks for sharing.
Amen - cast down all imaginations, good or bad - focus on what is true
good stuff
I know Querida - it was not my favorite week either...but a necessary one.
I think So Long Insecurity is the perfect book to follow Breaking Free. You get all your junk sorted out and dealt with and then it's very easy to start feeling insecure about it all.
I am hanging onto that line of yours.....Jesus Christ is the Lord of my what ifs. Amen, amen, amen!
Sometimes ... for me ... the what ifs are simply my way of sorting through the fact that I am not ... and should not be in control. When I start up with the what ifs, it is a clear indicator that I am falling out of dependence and landing straight in fear ...
Lisa
You and me both Lisa.
Post a Comment