Thursday, March 4, 2010

IT IS WHAT IT IS...

I have been reading a book by Elizabeth George called Loving God With All Your Mind. Much like A Call to Grace, I have had this book for a while and have started reading it several times. Now I am on the fast track. My mind is my greatest area of battle. As my friend Vivian said, my addictions and habits are mental rather than physical. So learning how to allow God to have all my mind, to surrender it all to Him is a top priority for me, and a top target my flesh.

I have spent the nearly a year lamenting about how things "were not supposed to be like this".

People were not supposed to be like this, circumstances were not supposed to be like this, my life was not supposed to go like this. Nearly a year. That is too long. While reading the section about trusting God with your past, present and future, Mrs. George took a 2x4 and hit me square upside the head with her own testimony. She, too, had been a "it's not supposed to be like this" kinda gal. That is until the Lord responded by informing her that this is the way it was and what was she going to do with it. As long as she avoided the reality of the situation, she avoided making any progress. Any solutions eluded her, any forward progress had been halted.

I can relate. I can also have hope. For once she faced the reality of the situation, acknowledged that God had been there in the past when it happened and would be there in the future to deal with what is next, she could focus on the present and dealing with it.

I think may of us face this issue in our lives. Our jobs weren't supposed to be like this. Our marriages weren't supposed to be like this. Our kids. Our families. Our churches. Our friends. The reality is, they are. They are all just like this, whatever "this" is. The question we have to answer is what are we going to do with it. Maybe you "this" is huge. Maybe it is only huge to you (like mine). Either way, our God is bigger. His love is bigger. His mercy is bigger. His grace is bigger. His truth is bigger.
So today I will pray for you and you can pray for me. That we would focus on what is true and what is real in our lives and more importantly what is true and real about our Christ (Philippians 4:8).

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Amen!! I, like you struggle a lot with the mental - so thanks for posting = been actually thinking a lot about what we talked about on this yesterday - God is good

sueonthefarm said...

Good post! Had a conversation along these lines Mon. with a complete stranger. We said "Don't know why we are farming...." He said "Because God wants you to right now.....and because you like it." Never thought about me being right where God wants me to be for this season.

Sandy said...

I have this book, too, and probably need to re-read it.
I have a lot of her books. Thank you for this post!