Tuesday, March 9, 2010

MY MAN

My HH and I celebrated 12 years of marriage this weekend. I wanted to come up with some terribly romantic post about how blissful those 12 years have been.
But they haven't.
He has been hard to live with at times.
So have I.
I would say I have been a lot harder than he. HH is pretty laid back, nothing really upsets him too much. I can be a bit high strung and of late high drama. I mull over things for MONTHS, HH lets them go. He has had his share of stuff though.
I will share with you a conversation we had a few weeks ago. We were all in the car on the way to the store. I really don't remember how it came up but the question was raised have you ever though you could do this (life, kid raising, house maintaining, etc) better by yourself? Honestly, there have been times when that thought has crossed my mind, especially weeks when he is gone a lot, and we will leave it at that.
HH's response:
"Oh I know I couldn't do this by myself. I know I need you."
Yes, I could take it that he needs me to do his stuff, you know what, so what if he does. I also know it took great humility to admit he couldn't do it with out me, because it ain't nothing but pride that makes me think I can do it alone.
Honestly, I couldn't do it without him. He is my physical rock. Sometimes a rock that stubs my toes, sometimes a rock that blocks a path, but many times a rock I can fall safely upon and rest.
So have they been 12 blissful, just like in the movies, romance filled years?
No.
Have they been 12 good years with a man who loves God, loves me, and loves our men children?
Have they been 12 years with a man who always strives to provide for his family, who desires to give us all the very best he can?
Have they been 12 years of turning off the hot water while he showers and awaiting the retaliation?
Years of sneaking ice cubes into bed to slip into his PJ's as payback for some prank he started?
Years of watching UFC and Beth Moore, listening to him comment on which way he likes her hair better (less blonde is his recommendation)?
Yes - they have and I would not have wanted anyone else to go through them with.
Happy Anniversary HH - I love you!
(Now ya'll be sure to tell him I said so because he never reads this).

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

AWWW.... that ended really sweet :) honest, through and through - some times we are all hard to live with - and sometimes we just don't like them and they don't like us - but that is part of what makes the longevity of it all that much sweeter - through all those "I love you, but I really don't like you right now!" times, you stuck it out and worked through it

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! and many more to come

Rhonda said...

Were you worried? Please, I love my HH.

Keri said...

I love that!! It's real life and real life can be real hard sometimes but you stick with it anyways. He is a lucky man to have you. Happy Anniversary!!

Keyona said...

How sweet! Happy Anniversary! :)

Rhonda said...

Thank you Bec, Keri and Keyona!