and it is not HH. Even though listening to him brag about how he has "great teeth" according to our dentist and his hygienist is getting on my nerves since it is coupled with his constant bragging about effortlessly losing weight....but he is not the one.
Bonhoeffer.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
I have been reading Christ the Center over the last few days. It is a collection of notes from his lectures at the University of Berlin in 1933. I just need to tell you the geek student in me is absolutely fascinated to be reading lectures from 1933. Total coolness to me, which probably means I just lost all cool points with you. I have had to reread portions several times. In complete quiet. He uses big words. Sometimes I agree with him, other times I think I might agree if I knew what he was talking about. Seriously over my head on some pages. But beautiful still.
The topic is chirstology. I had to google it...you can too. Unless you already know, in which case you are way smarter than me and should be reading this with me so you could explain as we went along. I am about halfway through the book. Sadly, it is only two parts of what was to be a three part lecture series. Bonhoeffer did not finish the third lecture. I need to find the book so I can buy it because I am certain the library does not want me highlighting their version. So I am taking notes. Lots of notes. The first notes I took were just a sentence or two. Then I was done reading the Introduction. Once I got into the actual lectures, it was entire paragraphs and pages. The language is wonderful. As my sister said, nobody talks this way anymore.
When I finish up I am sure I will more to say, but today I will just leave you with one of my favorite quotes so far-
If Jesus is the idealistic founder of a religion, I can be elevated by his work and stimulated to follow his example. But my sins are not forgiven, God still remains angry and I remain in the power of death. Jesus' work leads to despair in myself because I cannot imitate his pattern. But if Jesus is the Christ, the Word of God, then I am not primarily called to emulate him; I am encountered in his work as one who could not possibly do this work myself. Through his work, I recognize the gracious God. My sins are forgiven, I am no longer in death but in life.
(P.38-39)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Hallelujah!!! when you buy it, after you mark it up - i need to borrow it - and you gained cool points with me :)
Post a Comment