Thursday, May 12, 2011

REMEMBER THAT OTHER KID...

we have.
'Member him?
Well, in the midst of the mud, we had to parent his future. We had a meeting a couple of months ago about his academic future. Actually, I took the meeting, relayed the details to HH, and we made plans for what we thought should happen next. We had a follow-up meeting earlier this week. I took that one, too. I think I am going to start carrying a Polaroid of HH with me. I'll set him out at meetings and such, as proof. Sorta of like Ross did when he asked Phoebe to show Ben his picture while he was in Japan, where he met that Julie woman and derailed the entire Rachel relationship for a bit. As you can tell, I watched way too many episodes and, it would seem, too many reruns.
Back to the kid, he has a learning problem called I don't wanna (IDW).
MC 2 I need you to count to 20...I don't wanna.
I know he can count to 20. We work on it every day. But when his I don't wanna kicks in we might make it to 15. Sadly, it only seemed to manifest itself on testing days. So the initial meeting was a bit touch and go as to what the district thought would be best. Lucky for them, I knew we had the final say. One thing we did was have his speech tested.
The meeting this week was much more optimistic. His IDW syndrome seems to have died down and he has made great improvements in a few short weeks. His results for speech were at a level that required intervention, but not full on therapy. To our district's credit, they started with him the same day as the meeting. There was no rebuttal when I informed them we weren't retaining him. There was encouragement and ideas as to how to help him be successful next year.
So, little one is moving on.
As my sister said yesterday, we will wove him regardless of the fact that he thinks a leaf is a weaf.
And we wove you too!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

well praise the Lord!! and i think IDW is a genetic condition, is it not? and yes we do wove him :)

Keri said...

Oh girl.....we have such similar stories. Fighting tooth and nail for one while the other just floats along doing what he's supposed to. It's exhausting trying to make sure your kid has a fighting chance in this world. Totally exhausting.