Sunday, February 1, 2009

HEROES

No not the TV show. Hunter hubs tried to get started watching it one season. Unfortunately we were too far behind to get who was who & what was what. Too much for us. It is hard enough trying to keep up with Lost. No, we had a speaker today at church and he talked about the gift of faith (1 Corinthians 12:9). His point was that we don't ask for it. We like the gifts of prophecy or healing, but how often do we ask for faith? He went on to illustrate David and Goliath and how David's one act of faith caused God to move on his behalf and changed the world forever. His statement that really stuck with me was that the world is looking for heroes. Why that struck me odd I don't know. I mean we see it everyday in the way we treat sports stars, musicians,actors, politicians, even pastors. We want that someone who will ride in and save the day. I think we confuse hero with savior. We already have the One who will save the day - Jesus Christ. What we don't have are a lot of people who act like He has done it. (please know I include myself- first and foremost). If you look at the heroes of the bible - Joshua, David, Paul, Rahab (cuz that girl rocked) they all had the same thing in common - they believed God- not in Him only - they believed what He said about Himself and about them. That is the gift of faith. To believe in spite of what I see, hear or feel. To know who my God has called me to be and to act in that manner - regardless. I looked up hero in my dictionary and you know it said nothing about "saving the day". However it did say hero was know for their "bold exploits". So let me ask you this- when was the last time you had a "bold exploit" for Jesus Christ? Where you laid it all out there on the line and if He didn't show up it was going to go downhill quick. Please don't think I am talking about leaping over tall buildings in a single bound. Maybe your bold exploit is to lay your marriage or your family at the feet of God and REALLY leave it there this time. Perhaps it is to talk to the checkout girl you see EVERYDAY about her relationship with Christ. Maybe it is to take whatever is going on at work, at school, at church and TOTALLY give it over to God and NOT take it back. See it's the cowardly part of us, the scared part, that keeps taking it back. Harsh words - yep - am I first among cowards - some days you better believe it. Fear that it is not going to work out like I think it should or how I envisioned it has caused me to snatch back a lot of stuff that should have been left alone. In comes gift of faith. To say " Jesus this situation is Yours. All I bring to the table is a mustard seed of faith. Grow it up and make it strong." Got some stuff going on in my own life where I need to choose which way I am going to go. I need the gift of faith to take my hands off and let it go. I need to act like the child of God He says I am. Gonna guess you do to. So in the words of a dear friend, " You pray for me; I pray for you". Have a blessed Monday. Go out there and act like the HERO God has called you to be.



PS - Rebecca - that is 2 posts now & you've not commented on either. You are dropping the ball:)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well, it doesn't look like you needed me to comment! And - I DON'T HAVE INTERNET AT HOME!

anyway - what a great post. I mean, how drastic would our lives change if we really acted on what Christ has done for us and in us, I mean if we really BELIEVED God, not like the demons who believe in God, but really BELIEVED Him and took Him at His word.

Choose this day who you will follow - love you

The German-Ethiopian Alaskans :O) said...

Yay! Rhonda has a blog!! Love it! Keep on writing, girl! Miss you and love you!