Thursday, July 30, 2009

MY DAD

I know Father's Day has come & gone, and I neglected to post about my dad. So he gets today. My dad is the oldest of a lot of kids (and we will leave it at that for my grandmother's sake). He grew up poor, worked hard, went to college, graduated college (which apparently they did not even think was going to happen and neglected to order him a diploma), got a good job, married a cute little blonde (NOT her natural color.. BTW she thought he WOULD NEVER get mad at HER because she was so cute:0) Yeah we LOL that one too!) and had him some daughters. Daughters he worked like sons. Daughters he loved like princesses. Daughters who he had no idea how to deal with (having only one sister). My dad instilled in us all hard work & integrity. It was never "if" we went to college, but WHEN we went to college. May I brag and say we all did:o) He taught us to stand up for what was right. To say we all have a tendency to become a tad bit vocal when we see injustice living out before us would be an understatement. He instilled in us a love for basketball and a tolerance for westerns. My dad is not overtly religious, but those times it comes through it shines like the Son and is as solid as the very Rock it is built on. He also taught us how to laugh... good deep belly laughs and provided us with many opportunities to do so. He likes to tell new people he meets that I am his oldest daughter by his first wife, which just gets their gossip juices a wondering. From dad I learned how to ride a horse, drive a tractor, haul hay, clean quail, and shoot a jump shot. I learned how to stand and fight when I needed to and how to walk away when it was called for. We have spent countless hours on horseback and in the woods- hunting, chopping firewood, clearing fence. Dad has seen hard times as well. He has buried as many siblings as I have. He has spent years working for a dream that has yet to come to total fruition.
My dad is one of a kind. Whether he was imitating Bod and dancing going "boo-doop-di-doop", working on his quick draw, or strapping my youngest to the front of the tractor in the winter so he could hay the cows (yes there was a box of sorts and my kid was perfectly safe- hindsight is a nice thing), he keeps us constantly entertained. And constantly in check.
So dad , on this very special day - I love you and am proud to be your first kid by your first wife.
(okay mom, go get him and let him read it:o)
Love you dad!
" I am not responsible for what people think I am only responsible for who I am."

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

ok - I am crying now!!!!

Amen and Amen

I love you dad!

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed this Rhonda...thanks for sharing.