First - Jesus Christ saved our lives. Let's establish that from the get go. Okay let's go now.
We had stoked up the old fireplace the night before as it was bitterly cold. The boys were in bed, HH shut down the fireplace and to bed we went. Our bedroom is located at the back, while the men children's room is next door to the living room (where the fireplace is located). Due to heating issues in our house, we had pulled the door to our room to, not shutting it all the way, in case a man child needed us.
I remember waking up from a groggy sleep to some annoying beeping sound. You know, the kind where you think it is a dream, so you roll over and go back to sleep, which is exactly what I did. However, it would not go away. Finally, after an exasperated "What is that?", I got up and opened the door from our room to track it down.
When I stepped in to the kitchen, smoke was over the ceiling. I stepped around in to the living room, where I saw a glowing the wall about 5 feet up - not where the fireplace is supposed to be. Our lone smoke alarm, which had not been checked in a very long time, was going off.
Before I continue you need to know one tiny fact. At this time in my life I was taking anti-anxiety meds. The reason why is a long story that has to do with a very prideful girl and a God who was gracious enough to knock her on her butt. However, being on anti- anxiety meds, well it REALLY mellowed me out. R-E-A-L-L-Y!
So I casually call back to HH. "HH the house is on fire", then proceed to the boys room. Again smoke is all over the ceiling and I can hear the fire rolling over the ceiling in the boys room. I begin to ever so gently wake the boys, "Boys we need to get up, the house is one fire. Boys, boys...". By that time HH has raced in to the bedroom. He yanks MC1 up by the arm, over the dresser and heads outside, while screaming at me "COME ON!".
We get the boys safely into the car. I run back in for the bills, HH goes for something but I can't remember what, and we try to go out the back door. The lock is frozen so I run, well probably just walked fast, out the front door. HH gets the lock open and goes out the back. He calls the fire department and his mom. In the decade+ we have been married I have never seem HH cry. I did not that night either, but apparently he did.
I back the car away from the house and call my parents and my friend Casey. Then we waited. One lone fire fighter shows up first. He begins putting the fire out. They remove HH's lone deer mount before it gets damaged. When they open the garage, smoke billows out like you see in the movies. Mom-in-law and family rush over, and then we watch and wait. The volunteer firefighters did an amazing job saving our house.
We received texts and calls all morning checking on us. HH called Cory and he came over to help. Then he and his wife did an amazing thing...they opened their home to us. The home they just bought and moved into 2 weeks before. So that night , me and my 3 men children moved into their back bedroom where we lived for four months.
Casey washed clothes for us, as did others.
Cory's mom brought food and sleeping bags for the boys, which they have this very day.
Our church family took up an collection for us that blew our minds.
At the end of the day we had a roof over our head and friends and family by our side. December 1 will always be an Ebenezer stone for me. I know God Himself brought us safely through.
Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
interposed His precious blood.




6 comments:
Amen!
and yes, you were ABNORMALLY calm that night - i remember the phone call.
God is good, all the time.
love you
It was the meds;)
When we get to Heaven I believe we shall see the NUMEROUS times that GOD stepped into our lives. We never know the WHY but we will always know the WHO.
Have you thought that one of the reasons you were taking the medicine is that you would stay calm that night. The things the enemy tries to pull on us can only work for our good (Rom. 8:28), God uses ALL things for our good.
Yes as Rebecca said "GOD IS GOOD".
You are so right Ed...and yes the meds did help:) I would have been a basket case!
LOVE LOVE LOVE your Blog!! It made me cry. The goodness of God that you guys are all safe IS a testimony that ALL things do work together for good to those who love him. We love you guys!
WOW!!!! I don't even know what to say! This is what I get for getting behind on your blog.......
An amazing story.....I like to think God intervened in a big way because there were going to be women out there that needed you whole and He knew that. Wow.....
Not to make light of the situation, but picturing you sweetly calling out to your husband, "Babe, the house is on fire" and then calmly walking in to get your kids is just too much. Seriously, it's enough to make this often ADD, sometimes over-anxious mom want to try some of those meds for herself!
:-)
Post a Comment