Thursday, October 29, 2009

IT'S LIVE BOYS

DVR has changed the way my kids watch TV. Me too, but it really shows up in them. They keep wanting me to fast forward through the commercials of live TV. When we go to Audie's house they want to rewind her shows. (Audie is DVR less...poor thing).
I keep telling them,
"It's live TV boys, you can't fast forward that."
Now what I am about to say is nowhere near a novel idea. Just my two cents worth.
This morning as we were watching X-Men Revolution, live, and another request to fast forward was denied, I thought how many times I have asked God to fast forward, and rewind, and pause, and occasionally delete, and keep times in my life.
Times when I would like to hurry up and get to the part where it is all better.
Times when I would like to go back to when it was all good.
Times when I want to pause and just stay in the moments,
and those moments I wish were never even given the time.
And many times, my DVR life request is denied.
Why?
Cause it's LIVE boys!
We are called to live it. Today. In the now.
Not in the past, although we remember it and learn from it.
Not worrying about the future, although we plan for it and pray for it.
Not deleting the things we wished had never happened, because given over to Him they are turned for His glory and we are restored.
Not even the times we want to pause and relish this life for an unhealthy period of time, lest we loose focus of Who should be our focus.
Nope- can't DVR this thing called life.
What we can do is live it.
To the fullest.
We choose.
You choose.
I choose.
Because He chose.

3 comments:

sueonthefarm said...

Excellent!

Rebecca said...

man, that's awesome - i needed to hear that today

thanks - love you

Keri said...

WOW!!! I LOVE this post, love it, love it, love it. I have the same discussions with my boys and get irritated by the mundaneness of commercials, but I will never work my DVR again without thinking about this post.

You are my hero!! :-)